zondag 9 februari 2020

Good afternoon at the 9th off February 2020


Good afternoon everyone,

The cullinairy winter season is almost over. It runs from september to half january (Officially december, but january if you stretch it) and it consists off a lot off rich flavours which are traditionally served only during that period off the year, like- apples, pears, rich spices like cinnamon, clove and star anise, rich and heavy oven dishes, pumpkin, wild meat, spiced cookies (dutch speculaas) and so on.

I love to work with these, I love to bake a lot, and this year was a good year to work with apples and pears in particulair. Or at least I made it a perfect apple and pear year. I have made A few pies, an apple bundt cake with several spices, a few jars off applesauce with several spices, and the best thing was to share what I made with people.
The only thing I haven't made so far is stuffed apple or pear from the oven. (It's supposed to be stuffed with nuts, A hint off vanilla and caramel and offcourse the spices.) While it's still cold outside, I think I might get away with serving stuffed apple for dessert at a final home made dinner with people. But after the cold period, the winter season has come to an end and I think it's usually such A pitty. To work with certain ingredients while they are in season is often the best. I have A few pictures off some off the things I made this winter.



I even  had a spring roll with some fresh apples aside for lunch.
It was good alltogheter. 
One off the best breakfasts in  winterseason:
oatmeal with apples and cinnamon. 




So to say, it was A perfect year for apples and pears.

After the winterseason, there will be the spring season which also consists easter. I think it's something wonerfull to serve white aspargus during that season. My family usually has an aspargus dinner (Around Pentecost, we're not christian, but it's merely for the sake off A good dinner togheter) with aspargus soup as the starting dish and aspargus with egg, ham, potatoes and diffrent sauces as the main dish. The dessert is usually ice cream off some sort, and often I seem to 'sense.' when they're at it, or maybe they're onto that yearly treat at the moment when I visit them, but it's always when I'm near and it's one off the best things each year. Aspargus are very expensive, so usually it's only once a year we eat them.

Comming to think off it, other traditional spring dishes often consist fresh green vegetables, lemon, other citrus flavours and more light tasting ingredients than winter. I should try to cook 'in season.' around spring this year, and see what's actually in season during spring and summer, since I don't have much off A clue. It could be fun to share A great spring dinner with some fellow clients and care-takers while I'm at that task. I think I won't serve them aspargus, as that is above my budget, but something delicious yet 'spring-ish.' would always be a good idea. Maybe I should serve the easter rabbit. But I have no clue on how to prepare rabbit either.😅But that's not going to happen, I feel too much pity with cute little rabbits to cook them) To cook in season for spring can be fun to blog about, and to show pictures off. I think I might do that for a while on here.   

 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten