vrijdag 5 februari 2021

My personal idea off 'beggar's pudding.' - and a few other hints on saving money from your groceries

 Good evening everyone, 


I hope there will be the blizzard that has been in the forecast this weekend. I would love it to snow this weekend and there to be lots and lots off it. But maybe I'm crazy when it comes to that. I haven't seen a true snow storm in years. It's about to blizzard this weekend. At least, that's what they say. 

*

If you wish to eat a sunday dessert which is relatively cheap, I can advise my Dutch readers to buy themselves a package off 'Custard.' and start making custard pudding with instant custard, just pour it into milk with an equal amount off sugar and borrow your gran's pudding form. It's tasty, (It can also be served in average dessert bowls. Maybe you could give it something special by turning them upside down on small plates so you have a few small puddings. Or just any bowl you think it might suit. Don't forget to pour cold water into your bowls and empty them from water and then stir in your pudding before you let it stiffen up somewhere cold.) It's old fashioned, but back when my family was in a poor phase, I made it quite often for my brothers and you can make up to 4 large puddings from a package that's (Or at least was) below 1 euro's in price. I've learned to hunt bargains when I was poor. And when I had to fend for myself. It's not officiall beggar's pudding. But you could call it that way since it's low priced. And it's fancy and tastefull if you like the taste off vanilla pudding. 

Any extra's are optional (Like berry or chocolate sauce.) you can adjust raisins, or a teaspoon off almond or rum extract or even cinnamon if that's to your taste. And maybe you have some cocoa left in your cupboard - then you can make a large chocolate pudding from it. It serves a lot as it's made from about 1 liter off half fat milk. It's enough for a family to eat twice from. I made this about once every week back in our poor days. If you buy smart, you don't have to starve. It's a crisis out there, but it's no reason to starve. 

*

I don't like the idea off starving people. I'd like to advice to keep on buying garlic, potatoes, onions and stock (And maybe some brocoli or a zuchinni or two) so you can at least make vegetable soup (Don't forget pepper and salt) for yourselves which is nutricious and healthy. It only takes that to make a perfect soup if you have a hand mixer to puree the stuff. French bread isn't expensive either. You could make it a meal on thursdays and saturdays with what's left over from it. I hope I can make you eat well. It takes only one clove off garlic, two small potatoes and one onion for half a liter off fresh soup. It also goes well with paprika's from the market where you can buy a big package off them for only one euro each. Make sure you have 600 grams off veggies for half a liter- which you can easily turn to if you use cheap ass zuchinnis. The market also sells bake off breads for cheap. Really, the market is the first place to turn to if you still wish to eat during days like this and you have to fend for yourself or a family. They sell large bags off left over veggies and fruits for very low money. I can advise people to keep on buying milk aswell, as it's something cheap in this country you'd better keep on stock in your fridge. I hope my advise works. I used to do that all the time when I still had to feed myself - fresh soup with a little bread for a meal for the weekend. Saturday is soup day in the Netherlands after all. Simple mustard soup which goes almost the same, just takes two leeks and a few tablespoons off mustard and a hint off cooking cream to make. (For about 700 milliliter of soup.) Soup is a perfect go-to meal if you're low on money and still need to eat for the weekend.

*


 Last advice: Green tea from Aldi's. If you have people over for a hot drink but can't make them coffee since a package off coffee is pricey after all, head to Aldi's and buy a package off plain green tea and serve them tea. It goes a long way and it's very cheap for a package off 20 teabags which can serve you a full teapot. And it doesn't taste bad. It's also a good idea to have some green tea on stock in case you wish to do good for your health or when you fall sick. You might need it. I could also advice people to stop using sugar and milk in their tea as that can drive them to costs. It might take something to teach yourselves off, but it pays back in the end as sugar is bad for your health if you drink it with each serving off your tea. Tea with your breakfast is something I can also advice as it's relatively low on money and a good idea to take in your fluids that way.

*   

Allright, that's about it. My attempt in helping you with your groceries through this crisis. You can take my advice or ignore, that's all up to you.  

Thank you for reading. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten