zaterdag 13 maart 2021

It all became around the 16th century in Italy

 Good evening everyone, 


Most fresh vegetables in the western world where discovered or breeded around the 16th century in renaissance Italy. Italy is the promised land when it comes to food to me. I love the Italian kitchen and I love to experiment with diffrent kinds off vegetables and styles. Around the 16th century, tomatoes where discovered in Latin America but wheren´t used untill people found out what part off the plant they had to eat. The main plant was considered poisonous untill some philosophy I can´t remember the name to, dedicated the tomato to the human heart and they found out to eat the tomato ever since. 

Tables rich in fruits and vegetables, however, where in the beginning only dedicated to the rich and royal off the western world. Commoners wheren´t even allowed to eat what they desired as there where restrictions to food. Life was pretty restricted back in those days on all fronts. Even what to eat was up to the leaders to a country, mainly brought up to them by the catholic church. As centruries came by, the restrictions faded and nowadays people are allowed to eat everything as long as they can afford what they want to eat, but that´s no longer a restriction from the government.

During the 16th century, Marco Polo returned with noodles from China to Italy and they turned the basic receipe for that into all kinds off pastas over time. 

The oldest pie in the world, Linzer Torte, was created around 1650 in Austria, but somehow I wonder if abead to that there wheren´t pies or cakes. I suppose it wasn´t documented well up untill then but I´m no food historic. Linzer Torte is a pie made from dough made with nut flour and filled with (traditionally) cherry jam. But all red fruits do. I have never made one, but it´s on my list off things I still want to make.  

Allright, that´s what I wanted to share with you. 

Thank you for reading.     

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten